TAFE virtually advances to State

Jessica Otte, Advisor

The Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) competed virtually at the ‘Region 7 TAFE Competition’ on Friday, Nov. 13th under the direction of sponsor and CTE Education Training teacher Lori Center.

Students who placed and qualified for the State competition include Meagan Rhea and Darby Conner in their ‘Bulletin Board Elementary’ project category, Hatseva Argote in ‘Lesson Plan Arts’, Darby Conner in ‘Impromptu Speaking’,  Katie Grace Ibarra in ‘Public Speaking’, Keziah Knight and Keilah Knight in ‘Bulletin Board’, Kinsey Ponder and Kolby Helms in ‘Bulletin Board Elementary’, Kennedy Fugate in ‘Lesson Plan & Delivery’,  Elexy Gomez in ‘Outstanding Chapter’, Clarissa Young & Keziah Knight in ‘Chapter Yearbook’, Keilah Knight and Vivian Tavarez in ‘Children’s Literature’, Jesus Perez and Alondra Medina in ‘Recreation’, as well as Hillary Crist in ‘Ed Rising Leadership Award’.

In addition, the student projects that qualified for State in more than one category included Rhea and Conner’s ‘Parliamentary Procedure’ with Wesley Wilt and Brian Arreola, Ibarra’s ‘Project Visualize Teaching’ with Jyovanny Robles and her ‘Service’ with Keziah Knight, Kolby Helms’s ‘Impromptu Lesson’, Gomez’s ‘Educational Awareness’ with Alan Mondragon and his ‘Appreciation’ with Kinsey Ponder, as well as Fugate’s ‘Impromptu Speaking’.

“TAFE is one of the best organizations at Chapel Hill. We have tons of fun with Ms. Center while she also pushes us to be the best versions of ourselves”, said Ibarra. “We are dedicated to helping provide the best education for not only students at Chapel Hill High School but also to the future generations to come”. 

Center recorded videos of the projects to submit after the students spent the fall semester working on them. Some projects required acts of service, lesson planning, thinking on the spot, and even teaching the kids at surrounding CHISD elementary schools.

TAFE will move on to the State Competition which will be held virtually in March 2021.