FFA places in Rabbit show

Lourdes Lorenzo, CTE Writer

The Fort Worth Livestock Show & Rodeo held their Rabbit Show where FFA members competed the weekend of Feb. 8th under the direction of sponsor Kenneth Carnes. Cassie Barnett, Amber Lee, Hillary Crist, Ashlynn Smith, and Brianna Crawford showed their rabbits at the FWSSR.

Smith entered two of her rabbits in Specialty Shows on Thursday where she also assisted in the Check-in process along with Crawford and Crist. In the Specialty Shows, Smith won 1st in Class, Best of Variety, and Best Opposite in Breed with her Holland Lop buck, Ridge and 6th in Class and 6th in fur with her Netherland Dwarf buck, Cash. In the Regular Shows, she won 2nd in Variety and 4th in fur with Ridge and 4th in Show and 2nd in fur with her California doe, Reba.

This year was Smith’s first year to compete in Showmanship at a Major Show where she made it to the final round and was one of the final 8 out of over 35 contestants competing for first place.

“I have to say, rabbits are definitely “her thing”. No matter how tired she is, she is in her element at a rabbit show,” said parent April Smith. “She has been showing now for 13 years and with every passing year, she gives back more and more to others in hope’s of instilling the same passion in them that she has.”

FFA students will compete again in the Houston Livestock Show over spring break March 7th-14th.