Academic Rodeo winners recognized

Back to Article
Back to Article

Academic Rodeo winners recognized

April Lopez, News Editor

Academic Rodeo Contest winners were recognized at today’s annual luncheon and awards ceremony, which was held at the East Texas Fairgrounds’ MayFair Building.

Previously, students participated in Art and Writing events when teachers Kimberly Taylor and Addie Moore submitted the art pieces on Tuesday, Dec. 10th along with teacher Julia Dahlgren who submitted writing pieces for her students.

The art contest had 18 East Texas schools competing while the writing contest had nine schools competing. Winners received the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places for each age group where they won medals, as well as three Honorable Mentions for each grade group which were announced on Thursday, Jan. 9th.

Art contest winners included Lizbeth Hernandez who won 1st place and Codye Taylor who won 2nd place for the senior division. Keilah Knight won 1st place and Isaian Gama Lopez received Honorable Mention for the junior division.  Kyndal Houff won 3rd place and Yeini Rivera received Honorable Mention for the sophomore division. Keziah Knight won 2nd place for the freshman division. 

“A total of eight students were allowed to enter from each school for Art and Writing,” said Taylor. “Chapel Hill had the most wins out of all schools entered. I am so proud of these students.”

Writing contest winners included Chloe Williams who won 2nd place for the senior division, Katherine Adams who won 2nd place for the junior division, and Rebecca Westerman who won 2nd place for the freshman division. 

In addition, Kinsey Ponder won 1st place in the fashion design category under the teaching of Lori Center while Williams placed 1st in the video category under the teaching of Alexandria Knight.

“Although we did not walk away with any scholarships, we did walk away with a sense of pride for our achievements,” said Hernandez. “It was a great experience and I am looking forward to VASE.”