FFA cleans up at East Texas State Fair

Back to Article
Back to Article

FFA cleans up at East Texas State Fair

Kat Gibson, News Writer

FFA members competed at the East Texas State Fair FFA Livestock Show under the direction of FFA sponsor Kenneth Carnes Friday, Sept. 20th through Sunday, Sept. 29th when results were announced.

In the Rabbit show Amber Lee won 1st place, 3rd place, and Best of Breed with her Polish does.  Hillary Crist won 1st place with her Mini Rex buck. Jada Rider placed 7th out of 21 rabbits with her Jersey Wooley doe in the AOB category. Shelby Gilleland won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place with her New Zealand bucks.  Ashlynn Smith won 1st place with her Netherland Dwarf buck as well as 1st place, Best of Breed, and Grand Champion Overall for one of her Californian does and 2nd place for her other. She also won 1st, Best of Breed, and Reserve Grand Champion Overall for her Holland Lop buck in addition to winning Senior Rabbit Showmanship. Emily Hayde placed 2nd and 5th with her Mini Lop does in the AOB category while Katie Westerman placed 5th with her Polish buck.

“I didn’t expect to get both Reserve and Grand Champion because I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’ve never come home with both awards before,” said Smith. “I look forward to seeing how they do in one of the major shows coming up this spring.”

In the Heifer show Cassie Barnett placed 2nd and 3rd in Class for both of her Shorthorns. Amber Lee placed 2nd in Class for her Shorthorn. Dalton Line placed 3rd in Class for his Simbrah while Dillon Line placed 3rd in class for his Simbrah. Sydnie Murrell won 1st and 2nd in Class both of her Brangus Heifers. Miguel Pena placed 2nd in Class for his Charolais. Ashlynn Smith placed 2nd in Class with her Brangus. James Smith placed 4th in Class with his Santa Gertrudis.

“I had loads of fun connecting with all my new friends and even my cow,” said Lee.

FFA exhibitors will travel to Quitman to compete with their heifers in the Jackpot Show on Saturday, Oct. 12th.

“The fair was an awesome event,” said Carnes. “The fair is a place where our FFA students get to participate in the pinnacle of project-based learning.”