FFA places first at Fair

FFA places first at Fair

Elizabeth Zuniga, CTE Writer

The FFA team competed at the East Texas State Fair in Tyler. The first event was the Beef Heifer Show on Friday, Sept. 21 and Saturday the 22. Dillon Line with his Heifer “Ruby” placed 1st in his class and won Reserve Grand Champion Simbrah. Kaitlyn King 2nd in class Shorthorn Heifer, Ashlynn Smith 2nd in class Brangus Heifer, Miguel Pena 3rd in class Charlois Heifer, Sydnie Murrell 1st in class Brangus Heifer and Cassie Barnett 4th in class Shorthorn Heifer. Kara Pinkerton won 2nd in her class Angus Heifer.

“This heifer show was extremely special”, said King. “Our show team is full of kids who have a passion for their heifers and the show world.”

Students also competed in the Rabbit Show on Tuesday, Sept. 25. Ashlynn Smith placed 1st in the Holland Lop Buck, Best of Breed, Best in Show Opposite, and Senior Showmanship for her rabbit, Ridge. Alexus Miley placed 2nd in Class for Polish Buck. Jada Rider placed 4th in Class for Jersey Wooly Doe. Junior Member, Katie Westerman placed 4th in Class for Polish Buck. Shelby Gilleland placed 2nd in Class Californian Buck, 2nd in Class Californian Doe, and 2nd in Class Mini Rex Doe.

“Having more competitors this year, than last year, definitely made our school stand out and helped us to represent Chapel Hill better”, said Smith. “There were many impressive rabbits competing with mine, so I was happy to end up with the Best in Breed. I was really excited that I advanced to the Best in Show competition, but I wasn’t expecting to win it as well.”

In addition, students showed at the Goats and Horticulture Show, on Friday, Sept 28. Taylor Rasco showed her ‘meat goat’ which she intends to keep as a pet. Jessica King placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Horticulture for her divisions and sub-categories in Potted Plants, Cacti, Grafted Moon Cactus which earned her Best in Category for the Potted Plants Division too. She also won 2nd place in Succulents with her Pincushion Cactus, 1st place for her Ogre Ear Jade Plant, 2nd place for her Sleepy Echeveria Plant and 3rd place for her Aloe Vera.

“The competitions went very well this year”, said FFA Sponsor Kenneth Carnes. “We had more students compete at the fair, this year, than before.”

On October 27th, the FFA students will compete in the Progress Shows as a result of their previous Calf Scramble which was held in Houston last year.