Wages wins Stock Market State Essay

MaKayla Clements, Academic Staff Writer

Jonathan Caleb Wages was surprised on Thursday, March 8, with a presentation among his AP Government & Economics classmates. He was named the 1st place winner in the State through the National Invest Writer Essay Competition. Wages wrote an essay following his successful stock market game results and received various awards and prizes. His essay has advanced to the national level where he and Mrs. Roberson are invited to travel to.

“Without the underlying economics and personal finance education, the Stock Market Game is just a game,” said Doty. “Teachers like Annie Roberson use the simulation to capture students’ attention and teach critical thinking, quantitative analysis, research and teamwork.  Students like Jonathan Caleb Wages demonstrate through the InvestWrite competition that they have mastered these skills and the economic way of thinking.”

Wages’ essay covered his plan of how a non-profit organization could make a profit. He outlined that an organization could simply invest in their own company, along with contributing and sponsoring ones. UT Tyler representative, Susan Doty presented Wages with a first place trophy, $100 Visa gift card and received recognition alongside Government teacher, Annie Robeson. Local news station CBS19 came to cover his story with his family, principal, and counselor in attendance.

“I know it sounds crazy,” says Wages. “But they are two major corporations, and regardless of morals or what some people believe, they are not going away. So I figured the Red Cross might as well use that high revenue and the high dividends to their advantage to help people in need.”