SkillsUSA students stride into State

Career and Technology Education organizations attended the SkillsUSA District Meet, Thursday – Saturday, Feb. 8th – Feb. 10th. The event at Texas State Technical College in Waco, Texas.

“SkillsUSA affords the opportunity to practice skills students have learned in a real world scenario,” said criminal justice teacher Ty Whitworth. “Skills offers us an opportunity for a safe environment for the students to practice skill sets that they have learned.”

Culinary Arts: Madison Rawls – First place Occupational Skills, Payton Wages – Second place Restaurant Service, and Kendale Johnson – 3rd place customer service.

“The judges were super nice,” said freshman Jillian Rhea. “They were very lenient. They gave you pointers they weren’t trying to talk you down they were trying to help you.”

Graphic Design: Jordan Cooks – Bronze Medal – T-Shirt Design, Silver Medal Screen Printing Tech. Benjamin Justice – Gold Medal – Screen Printing Tech. Allyssa White – Gold Medal – Graphic Design.

“Everyone did well, they used some technical terminology,” said graphic design teacher Micheal Tavenner. “Their graphic was a little weak, but the explanation was really good and that’s what got them through.

Criminal Justice: Quiz Bowl and Team CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). The following won 1st place gold Team CERT and advanced to State Mayra Vazquez Berrones, Victoria Bell, Jeremy Hedricks, Noah Whitworth, and Jaylin Perez.

“Criminal justice is one of those fields that is difficult to properly train students,” said Whitworth. “Because so much of what we teach is hands on and is hard to determine what is okay for the high school students to handle.”

The students that placed in district will be attending the state level competition in Corpus Christi this April.