• October 23Band wins 1st Division with straight 1s in UIL marching contest

• September 22Caleb Otte and Hannah Richardson named as Homecoming King & Queen

UIL make a mark in Mabank

Jennifer Thornton, Academic Staff Writer

On October 21, members of our Debate team, as well as the UIL Literary Criticism, Current Issues, and Prose teams competed against other schools in Mabank.

Dylan Mathis competed in Current Issues and placed 8th. Lamaya Green competed in Literary Criticism, where teammate Haliegh Sanders earned 4th place.

“I’m proud of what I placed,” said Mathis. “I can’t wait until we go to Lindale so I can place higher.”

Eddie Jones participated in the Prose reading competition.

In Cross-Examination Debate, Sanders and Samantha Sibal worked together to argue policy against other schools. Caleb and Payton Wages were a fellow Cross-Examination Debate team.

“I think I’ve gotten better since last year,” Sibal says about competing. “We have a coach who knows what he’s doing when it comes to debate.” This is the second year Sibal has participated in Cross-Examination Debate.

Tori Bell competed in Extemporaneous Debate. Bell, alongside Michael Fergueson and Jennifer Thornton, competed in Congressional Debate where students became members of a mock Congress in an effort to pass or negate bills and resolutions.

“Congress was a remarkable experience and I’m looking forward to going to Lindale,” Bell says when asked what Congress was like.

Debate coach Ty Whitworth and Mr. Bice, who is the coach for Current Issues and Literary Criticism, worked hard to prepare their students for this competition.

“Although we had a small team today, it was a great day for Chapel Hill High School,” said UIL coordinator, Amanda Adair.

Our debate team will be traveling on November 4th to compete in Lindale.