• October 23Band wins 1st Division with straight 1s in UIL marching contest

• September 22Caleb Otte and Hannah Richardson named as Homecoming King & Queen

Student artwork places at East Texas State Fair

Alyna Barrientos, Co-Editor

Art students competed in the East Texas State Fair 2017 competition. All art pieces were in different categories throughout the art building and on September 22, awards were announced. In the Sculpture division, 1st place went to Drew Thormer for the Tricolor winner and overall “Best of Show” winner. In the Clay Relief Sculpture division, 1st place went to Sydnee Northcutt  for her “Lion”; she also received the Tricolor winner “Best of Show”.

In the Decorators Category-18 years Adult, 1st place went to Billy Maddox with a painting on wood of parrots. 1st place went to Destiny Tucker with a 3 Tier Clay Sculpture for Pottery, 1st place went to Alex Tellez  with Color Pencil of a tiger, 1st place Mallory Kea with a Clay Relief Sculpture with Pottery, 2nd place went to Tony Lugo with a fish Painting on Wood, 2nd place went to Anna Nguyen with a Clay Relief Sculpture of a dragon, 2nd place went to Cassidy Willingham with a 3 Tier Clay Sculpture for her “Alice in Wonderland”, and 2nd place went to Yazmine Martinez with a Nail, String and Painting of a cow.

In the Floral Design Division, 1st place went to Yesenia Ortega with Pop Garden Painting, 1st place went to Gabriela Agular with Flower Garden Painting on Wood, 2nd Place went to Ireseshia Brown with a Fall Pumpkin Arrangement, and 3rd place went to Ciara Mosley with a Spring Arrangement

“I had students in five different categories, and I always like to show the floral design art since it is an unique class to have.” said art teacher Kimberly Taylor.

In the Art One Division, 1st place went to Micayla Branin with a pencil art piece called “Bug’s Life”, 1st place wet to Bryan Sanchez with a mixed media piece of a parrot, 1st place went to Alex Estrada with pen and ink of a tiger, 1st place went to Azucena Reyes with pen and ink of a flower, and 2nd place went to Jazmyn Starks with a pencil drawing of a face.

In the Advanced Art Division, 2nd place went to Zamarea Dunn with a Pen and Ink of a face, and 2nd place went to Caleb Otte with a Color Pencil of a rabbit.

“I feel that students have another purpose of creating art if they know it is going to be seen and judged. This will also help compliment their portfolios in all categories.” said Taylor, “Mr. Dahlgren and I are always pleased to advance and show case the students art anyway possible.”

The art will be displayed at the fair until Sunday, Oct 1st in the art building at the East Texas State Fair.