Culinary places at Cooking Up Careers and BBQ Cook-Off

Jessica Otte, Advisor

The Cooking Up Careers competition was held on Friday April 27 at Stephen F. Austin University. Culinary students took 3rd place as a team.  Usual procedure for this event is to only award 1st and 2nd places; however, judges decided to award 3rd place as well since it was so close. China Blalock, Ashley Moretti, Shie Sutton, Stephen Anderson, and Cierra Hill were assisted by Intro to Culinary teacher, Lori Center and culinary assistant teacher, Margaret Reyna.

Also, on Friday, ag teacher Steven Bryand and culinary teacher Leslie Rasco took a team to the 2nd Annual State of Texas High School BBQ Cook-Off at Burnet High School. There were 25 teams from around the state competing in 7 categories for the cook-off.

“I am so proud of all of the culinary students who have worked so hard all year”, said Rasco. “I am very thankful for all of the support we receive for our program from the Chapel Hill community”.

The wind was a factor for all teams (20+ mph almost all day). Students Erik Ochoa, Kurt Godwin, Payton Wages, Maya Reazin, and Lili Garza placed 7th in sauce, 8th in ribs, 6th in Chef’s choice (a bacon, potato, and cheese tart), and 12th in chicken.

“It was a really fun and even though we had no idea what we were doing, I still think we did pretty good for are first time”, said Godwin.